Dr MB’s Marshmallow Root Extract
Marshmallow is not just a sweet white candy; it holds a more significant role as a plant indigenous to Africa and parts of Europe. This plant has been utilized for centuries to create an herbal treatment, adding to its versatility and effectiveness.
The historical significance of marshmallow root (Althaea officinalis) in folk medicine can be traced back to ancient Greek and Egyptian civilizations. Homer’s “Iliad,” written over 2,800 years ago, mentioned the use of marshmallow root as a remedy for coughs, sore throats, and congestion. This “slippery” herb gained popularity due to its therapeutic properties.
Interestingly, the association of marshmallow candies with the marshmallow root stems from the plant’s unique characteristic of being “fluffy.” Extracts from marshmallow contain fibrous components that expand in the body, forming a soft and gel-like substance. Even today, holistic practitioners continue to employ marshmallow in much the same way as their predecessors did centuries ago. The plant possesses potent active ingredients that effectively aid in mucus breakdown, inflammation reduction, and natural bacteria elimination.
Furthermore, marshmallow has attained significant recognition in Ayurvedic medicine and Unani healing practices. These traditional systems incorporate various plants to enhance immune function and prevent diseases. Marshmallow’s inclusion in such practices highlights its importance and therapeutic value.
Marshmallow root has gained recognition for its efficacy in treating a wide range of illnesses and disorders. Its versatile properties make it an effective remedy for the following conditions:
- Dry coughs and colds: Marshmallow root’s soothing and expectorant properties help alleviate irritation and promote the expulsion of phlegm, providing relief for dry coughs and cold symptoms.
- Dry mouth and low saliva production: Marshmallow root can stimulate saliva production, making it beneficial for individuals experiencing dry mouth or reduced saliva flow.
- Bacterial infections: Marshmallow root exhibits antimicrobial properties that can combat bacterial infections, including those affecting the bladder, urinary tract, and respiratory system.
- Bronchitis and tonsillitis: Marshmallow root’s anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties make it an effective remedy for respiratory infections, including bronchitis and tonsillitis.
- Joint pain caused by swelling/inflammation: The anti-inflammatory properties of marshmallow root make it helpful in reducing swelling and alleviating joint pain associated with conditions like arthritis.
- Inflammation of the lining of the stomach: Marshmallow root’s mucilaginous nature provides a protective coating to the stomach lining, soothing inflammation and discomfort caused by conditions such as gastritis.
- Digestive issues: Marshmallow root can be beneficial for various digestive issues, including diarrhea, stomach ulcers, and constipation. Its soothing properties help reduce inflammation and promote healthy digestion.
- Inflammatory bowel disease, leaky gut syndrome, and autoimmune disorders: Marshmallow root’s anti-inflammatory properties can help alleviate symptoms associated with inflammatory bowel disease, leaky gut syndrome, and certain autoimmune disorders.
- Burns, wounds, insect bites, or poultices on the skin: Marshmallow root’s emollient and antimicrobial properties make it suitable for treating minor skin irritations, burns, wounds, and insect bites. It can be used topically or in the form of poultices.
- Eczema and dermatitis of the skin: Marshmallow root’s soothing and moisturizing properties make it beneficial for relieving symptoms of eczema and dermatitis, such as itching, inflammation, and dryness.
- Water retention, bloating, and PMS: Marshmallow root’s diuretic properties can help reduce water retention and bloating, making it useful for managing premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms.
Overall, marshmallow root serves as a versatile herbal remedy with a wide range of therapeutic applications, offering relief for various ailments affecting different parts of the body.