L – Glutathione
Our Glutathione Booster is a 995mg capsule.
Coined as the “The Mother of All Antioxidants” by Dr Mark Hyman, glutathione is one of the hottest topics in both natural health and medical circles today. Over 139,000 peer-reviewed scientific articles have addressed this powerhouse molecule, and experts are now recognising that an alarming rate of people are deficient because of:
- Pre-mature aging
- Chronic stress
- Environmental toxins
- So-called “health foods”
- Genetically modified foods
- Artificial sweeteners
- Overuse of antibiotics
- And radiation therapy that is all too easily given to cancer patients today.
So exactly what is glutathione and what does it do? Glutathione (GSH) is a peptide consisting of three key amino acids that plays several vital roles in the body. Longevity researchers believe that it is so pivotal to our health that the level of GSH in our cells is becoming a predictor of how long we will live!
The key to understanding why GSH is so crucial for health is that every cell in our bodies produces it. In the words of Gustavo Bounous, MD, retired professor of surgery at McGill University in Montreal, “It’s the [body’s] most important antioxidant because it’s within the cell.” Although it’s absolutely essential to maintaining a healthy immune system, it is not technically an “essential nutrient” because the body can create it from the amino acids L-cysteine, L-glutamic acid (a component of glutamine) and glycine.
Some of the functions that GSH is responsible for include:
- Conjugates (“links together”) with drugs to make them more digestible
- Is a cofactor (“helper molecule”) for some important enzymes including glutathione peroxidase (which protects you from oxidative damage)
- Is involved in protein disulfide bond rearrangement (which is critical for the biogenesis of one-third of all human proteins)
- Reduces peroxides (natural bleaching agents that are harmful to the body)
- Participates in leukotriene production (vital component for inflammatory and hypersensitivity reactions)
- Helps the liver detoxify fat before bile is emitted, which takes stress off of the gallbladder
- Helps detoxifies methylglyoxal, a toxin produced as a by-product of metabolism
- Cancer apoptosis (“programmed cell death”)
In modern medicine, there are several other glutathione uses as well.
What are the health benefits of glutathione? In addition to helping these vital functions continue in the body, the list of glutathione benefits is extensive:
- Plays a crucial role in immune function
- Promotes T-cell function, which is critical for a strong immune system
- Helps prevent drug resistance
- Protects from environmental toxins
- Discourages cancer progression